Hold mouse pointer over image to enlarge.



A view of the River Sow looking towards Baswich taken from Fairway Bridge.




Alongside the hedge was the basin and in between the two trees at the end was the entrance to the aqueduct leading to the lock, the photo taken at the junction with the Staffs & Worcs Canal and the Stafford Branch Canal.




The remains of the right hand side roving bridge over the junction at the entrance to the Stafford Branch Canal.




The site of the entrance to the Stafford Branch Canal from the Staffs & Worcs Canal showing the left hand remains of the roving bridge over the junction.




A footbridge, once over the River Penk, is now in the middle of nowhere after the realignment of the River Penk. Today the bridge is used as a public footpath.




View from bridge 101 on the Staffs & Worcs Canal, the entrance to the Stafford Branch Canal to the right of the narrowboat where the fence is situated.




Map of the Canal Basin and Coal Wharf in the Centre of Stafford by Green Bridge (Forebridge). Taken from the 1895 Underlease.




Taken in Stafford in 2005, the steps by the Leisure Centre (since demolished) which could become moorings and/or a winding hole.




Probable end of Navigation as there is a concrete pipe where the swirling waters are, just the other side of the footbridge.




Looking towards aqueduct June 1971:- Taken in June 1971 by Alan Smith OBE, showing the basin and the entrance to the aqueduct, which has been removed but the towpath railings showing.


Photo taken from the footbridge showing the concrete pipe just before Road Bridge (Green Bridge)




The ornamental keystone on Green Bridge shows
the Stafford Knot and is dated "May 1860".




This is a view toward Green Bridge in the centre of Stafford.




Queensway Bridge in Stafford. This is the bridge under the ring road. It shows a good width and headroom for passing craft




Just the other side of the ring road showing the new supermarket to the left as the River Sow heads towards the open countryside and the connection with the Canal Network. (Possible mooring/winding site)




Just beyond the supermarket, the River Sow heading towards Riverway Bridge. Notice the good towpath and width of the river..




Again good headroom and width of water under Riverway Bridge.




The canal meandering towards its junction with the Staffs & Worcs Canal, a bit narrow, but fairly deep.




From the junction of the Stafford Branch Canal on the Staffs & Worcs Canal looking towards bridge 101.




Site of derelict aqueduct over River Sow feeder, June 1971, showing aqueduct removed but footbridge still insitu.




Entrance to aqueduct removed, but footbridge still insitu, June 1971




Alongside the hedge the depression that was the basin is seen and in the distance the entrance to the aqueduct leading to the lock, the photo taken June 1971.




Once again the basin to the right of the hedge and just showing the re-aligned River Penk flowing slowly past. The site now forming part of a public footpath that follows the Stafford Branch Canal right into the centre of Stafford.


1. Lock House Ground Floor Basic Plan.




2. Lock House Upper Floor Basic .




3. Olive Price’s Sketch Map of the Baswich Site. [ Courtesy of Olive Price ].




4. The photograph shows the front of the Lock House with Olive Shaw in the front doorway about 1955. The Washhouse is on the left with the sloping roof. The Pigsty is in the foreground. The photograph was taken from the Roving Bridge. [ Courtesy of Olive Price ].




5. The photograph was possibly taken in the 1940s and shows part of the back of the Lock House. The Kitchen Window is on the right and the smaller Pantry Window is just visible on the left. The Back Bedroom Window is above. The family cat is in the greengage tree. There is some rhubarb growing by the house. [ Courtesy of Olive Price.]




6. The photograph was probably taken around 1947 and shows Olive Shaw (aged about 8) by the Pigsty with the Roving Bridge beyond. Olive is holding a small toy pram – a ‘Dinky’ size toy. Notice the metal railing fence across the bridge hole with ‘wicket gate’ across the former towpath. The chimney is from the Saltworks beyond the bridge. [ Courtesy of Olive Price ]..




7. This is the only known image of the Roving Bridge at the Junction viewed from the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal. It appeared in a local newspaper, the Staffordshire Newsletter, on 11 March 1950. [ Courtesy of Staffordshire Newsletter ].




8. The Roving Bridge at Autherley (Wolverhampton) at the junction of the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal and the Shropshire Union Canal. This bridge has many similarities to the former Roving Bridge at Baswich. (May 2010).




9. The Roving Bridge at Autherley



10. Remains of the Basin and some of the edging stones leading to the former Aqueduct. Taken from opposite the hawthorn hedge and looking west. (August 2010).




10a. Remains of the Basin and some of the edging stones leading to the former Aqueduct and Lock. Taken from by the hawthorn hedge and looking north. (August 2010).




11. Looking up (south) towards the site of the Roving Bridge; towpath and hawthorn hedge to the right, and site of the Lock House Back Garden to the right of the hedge. (August 2010).




12. Another view looking towards the site of the Roving Bridge; towpath and hawthorn hedge, and site of Lock House to the right of the hedge. (August 2010).




13 & 14. View looking back along the hawthorn hedge towards the site of the Aqueduct and Lock. Site of the Lock House on the left (13) and the Basin (14) on the right. Path into the Lock House front garden is visible to the left. (August 2010).




13 & 14. View looking back along the hawthorn hedge towards the site of the Aqueduct and Lock. Site of the Lock House on the left (13) and the Basin (14) on the right. Path into the Lock House front garden is visible to the left. (August 2010).




15. Looking (south) towards the site of the Roving Bridge at the Junction of the Branch Canal with the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal. Taken close to the site of the Pigsty. (August 2010).




16. Remains of right-hand (west) abutment of the Roving Bridge. (August 2010).




17. The remains of the right-hand (west) abutment of the Roving Bridge, showing the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal with St Thomas’ Bridge (101) just visible. (August 2010).




18. The entrance to the former Branch Canal looking towards St Thomas’ Bridge (101). The remains of the left-hand (east) abutment is visible. (August 2010).




19. The entrance to the former Branch Canal looking towards the direction of Radford. The remains of the right-hand (west) abutment is visible. The picture is taken from about the midpoint of the former bridge-hole. (August 2010).




20. Another view of the entrance to the former Branch Canal looking towards Radford. (August 2010).




21. A closer view of the right-hand (west) abutment from the entrance to the former Branch Canal looking towards Radford. (August 2010).




22. A view of the left-hand abutment from the entrance to the former Branch Canal looking towards St Thomas’ Bridge. (August 2010).


23. Another view of the left-hand (east) abutment (right-hand from the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal) looking towards the entrance to the former Branch Canal looking towards Radford. (August 2010).


24. Olive Price (née Shaw) (right) and Peggy Payne (left) at the site of the former Lock House (September 2010). .


25. Electricity pylons are an ever-present feature of the landscape at Baswich. (August 2010).

Sources

(a) Images 1-2, 8-25: David Jones.
(b) Images 3 – 6: Olive Price.
(c) Image 7: Staffordshire Newsletter.